• Date: 18th c.
• Place of manufacture: Bohemia
• Manufacturing technique: clear glass and gold leaf, double-walled technique known as “Zwischengoldglas”, blown, cut, gilt
• Dimensions: H : 8,5 ; Ø max : 7
• Collection: Coll. J. Geyssant
• Credit: © Lucie Nicolas / Ecomusée de l’Avesnois
This truncated cup comprises two glass walls with gold-leaf decoration placed between them, thus the German name Zwischengoldglas. This delicate technique was practised in Bohemia around 1730–40 and demonstrates a total mastery of glassmaking and great skill in the chasing and engraving gold leaf. This technique was revived in Bohemia in the late 19th century.